Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Japan, Land of the Rising PROCRASTINATION STATISTIC

So! I went to a total of 1 school yesterday! Not 8.......1. Colour me disappointed. Ok...... well, it can only get better said I, to myself whilst no one was around. Motegi-san said that today would be different. Today I was going to actually knock off the rest of my meetings.... Today was supposed to be another fun filled day of formal introductions, bowing, and business card exchange as I met with all of the officials and teachers at all 8 of my schools. Instead it became a day of shattered dreams and broken hopes. Motegi-san was sick, so a full day turned into a painful attempt to keep myself entertained in the BOE. This is how the events of the morning unfolded.

I arrived a little late and thought it weird that my supervisor(Motegi-san) was not at his desk. 5 minutes passes and I hear Fukui-san making a phone call. He sits next to Motegi. I hear ``hey... are you ok? What? You have a fever? Ok, don`t worry, I can do that`` and then he hangs up the phone. Then for the next 20 minutes 5 or 6 Japanese people swarm over the phones like a pack of wild hamsters at an all you can eat toothpaste buffet, trying to arrange alternate plans for everything Motegi had planned. Including plans related to ME!

So, that was that. I had 7 hours to sit in the BOE doodling and memorizing Japanese. I did do some pretty sweet doodles today though! I did end up going to one school today too though. Really good school with an excellent English teacher. She seems to be in control, so basically I just have to assist and follow her lead. I am not too worried because I am very aware that I am most importantly here to persuade the kids to think that ENGLISH IS FUN and that they should OBEY ALL ENGLISH.

In the end, Fukui and I drove around, he got a milkshake, I beat up some junior high school kids I saw at the milkshake shop(Thats the last time they`ll mispronounce the word Hello.... Herro my foot!), and I even found out where they practice Judo here. Fukui said he is gonna take me. I am excited because I can stop warming my closet shelf with my judo uniform soon!

I think its important to underline what I learned today though. Japan is one lazy mother-father. Do not let the media pull the mustard over your eyes. Japanese people are rarely punctual(unless you are a train/bus driver), they always eat while they walk and most importantly, if Marc wants something, it can wait until tomorrow. Still no progress on the printer embargo. MARC OUT!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Furious said...

I think Japanese people are very very punctual if it's something important, but ALTs rarely factor in in that department. You'll find out the hard way if your water heater breaks in winter...

:(

8:31 p.m.  
Blogger Gorrozolla said...

Haha, I can hardly wait.

8:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home