Monday, August 11, 2008

Another Day another Yen

Yesterday was a fun filled day of adventure and excitement. I started the day off right, with a nice long sleep in till around 10 a.m. Then I went for a walk. I was tired of not knowing where anything was in the town so I just picked a direction, which was down if you were to look on a map and started walking. I didn't see a heck of a lot. There is a shopping area close-by, which is as close to a mall as you get, but I was going in the opposite direction. I really need to get a bike, since all the good stores, like electronics, music and DVD rental places are at least 40 minutes walk away. I finished my walk by going to a stationary store for a new pen and a work book to practice my chinese characters in. Then I went to the beach again :) I spent about 30 minutes just walking up and down, skipping stones and looking for cool beach-related things. I found a few pieces of sea-glass, a kitchen knife, and a weird robot head but that was about it. Then I had to go home to meet some people which were taking me out.
























































There were three people, but I can't remember all their names. First, they took me out for lunch at a nice soba restaurant. Soba is a thin buckwheat noodle that is cooked and then run through cold water. It is then served with a sauce which you dip the noodles in. The sauce is like a really thin, weak soy sauce which you add onions and radish and wasabi to. It is ok, but not really a favourite of mine. There was lots of tempura with the set though so I was happy. I think maybe I'll start taking pictures of the stuff I eat, since most of you haven't seen it before. After lunch, we went to a "recycle shop" where you can buy used and new things. Pretty much anything from $1 Power Ranger toys to $900 Louis Vuitton purses. I really like them, because you can get cheap stuff and there is always something fun to look at. I was there because it is the only place where they sell musical instruments. Apparently the people of the Mombetsu area don't have a need for music stores. I didn't get my hopes up, but they actually had a decent selection! They even had some Gibson and Fender beauties. I didn't want to spend a lot, so I went with the tried and true Photo-genic! It's a small company which produces all the bigger company guitar styles but WAY cheaper. And they sound great. I already own a Telecaster which is still in Canada and it is amazing. I saw a really sweet Les Paul copy which is now mine! I really love the colour. Sorta a metallic yellow-gold flake. I also bought a tiny little 10 watt amp.

After that, we went to see some seals by the beach. Its a little aquarium where you can feed and pet the seals. They were really neat, and they even had baby seals too!!! After that, I was taken to a "The Daiso". This store makes our dollar stores look like penny stores people!!! I bought neckties and dress socks for $1! We then went to a big bookstore/DVD/music store. On the shelf, and I am not kidding you, were 3 copies of the Paris Hilton sex tape.....And this was out in the open, between Action and Drama sections! God-Bless Japan.

I then returned home, only to be dropped into the hands of another tour-guide, who was taking me to dinner and a show. Dinner was Soba again (god these people love cold noodles) and two live bands on a boat. It was pretty nice for the first little while. I took some nice sunset shots but then got cold and bored. After the bands finally finished, we got to go down into the Okotsk tower, a tower designed to let you see under the sea ice in the winter. At night they put huge spotlights in the water which attracts fish to the underwater windows. You are 7.5 metres underwater and the fish are disoriented from the lights, so they swim upside down. There was also a touch pool with starfish and crabs, and eels and flounders. I totally molested the hell out of them fish :) After, we went to a coffee shop and had sandwiches and hot milk. Then I finally got to go home, play my new guitar (i forgot to buy guitar picks) and went to bed.

































Now I'm at work. I have brought my laptop because I figure I might as well write about my days so I don't have to use my sweet, sweet, precious free time typing. I think this post is too long.

On a negative note, I just found out my favourite coffee beverage, the White Chocolate Mocha from Starbucks contains 93g of sugar..... I am never drinking specialty coffee again. I will leave you with a video of me abhoring nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home