Friday, August 08, 2008

I am in Japan

I have been in Japan for almost one week now and I am very, very tired. Orientation occurred in Tokyo and that was fine. I didn't get to see everything because of the scheduling but I didn't mind. What I have a problem with is that I haven't been given a second alone since I arrived in my new town. I have either been in the Board of Education, or at a party, or have been accompanied to the grocery store. I don't really understand the mentality behind this. I think it goes a little something... a like this ......

Japan: "Hey! You know what would make the new guy feel really happy and comfortable? Let's get him when he's most jet-lagged, and exhausted from traveling, and while he's the most nervous about his new life/job in Japan and bombard him with non-stop action and protocol!"
Common Sense: "Maybe he would like a chance to chill for a bit?"
Japan: "What do you mean? Like, he might want some time to unpack, and maybe relax for one day, explore the town, actually see some sights before we start him on our 24hr. a day Foreigner Parade? That's nonsense, ABSOLUTE POPPY COCK!!!"

And that is how it has been. I haven't had time to see anything except my apartment, and the Board of Education.... I promise. I finally am alone tomorrow morning and half of the afternoon (before the coddling begins again) so I will video tape my apartment, and I am actually going to post some pics. Then I have to go to my supervisor's house for a birthday party and curry (not actually a bad thing, but I still haven't seen the city yet!!! And they wonder why its hard for me to answer when they ask "how do you like Monbetsu City so far?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Furious said...

You'll get used to it-- sometimes the JET Programme seems like it really is a push and shove between your time and other people's time though.

10:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home