Sunday, May 20, 2007

Last Days

I only have 11 days in Fukuoka left. I am not going anywhere, or doing anything special. I am only trying to relax and spend time with my friends here and get the most out of my last days. The canadians and I are going to be one of the last groups leaving I-house, and as people leave, it becomes clearer and clearer that I had a really great time this year, and that it is going to be really hard not seeing some of my friends here anymore.

Having to return to university for an extremely busy 4th year is going to be really depressing. I hate my major already without having to overload my schedule with MORE of it. At least there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. I may be able to return to Japan after I am done.

Living in Japan has left me with mixed emotions though. I want to come back because it is a beautiful place to live and I love the language and studying it, but then I look at the negative aspects and there is hesitation. I cannot stand so many things about Japan, such as the borderline racist, xenophobic attitude of most of the population, and the fact that there the Japanese government plays a very small part in protecting people living here. I have lost track of the times that I have gone to the hospital and was either misdiagnosed or underdiagnosed. I think that over time, as my Japanese develops, I will have a much easier time and at this point, most of the staring or speaking about me like I wasn't 5 feet away has lost its shock value. I am just going to finish my degree and then see how I feel. I think thats reasonable.

I went to round one last night, which is a rather large arcade/sports complex where you can stay all night and enjoy sports, video games, massage chairs, internet cafe, and karaoke, all for the price of a North American movie ticket. I have been 4 times so far, and I want to go again before I leave. Its a good chance to spend time with friends, and stay up late. These are the things that I will miss most about Japan I think. Mostly the childish stuff, but I think that's what attracts me to Japan the most. No matter how old you are here, you still have so many ways to act like a kid and enoy yourself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris WJ Charlton said...

This is sort of a sad end to your stay :(

At least you only have one year left. After that you can do JET or an eikaiwa and bitch with me in a pub about how much it sucks.

Also, tell me where this magical funland is located in fukuoka... I need to go.

8:41 a.m.  
Blogger Chris WJ Charlton said...

I heard you changed your mind and are staying 2 more weeks!

You ca-razy son. Ca-raz-ay!

11:38 a.m.  
Blogger Chris WJ Charlton said...

herroooo?

9:21 a.m.  
Blogger Chris WJ Charlton said...

POST AGAIN JESUS FUCK CHRIST

9:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home