Friday, April 07, 2006

Why not me?

So I have made a habit out of checking my scholarship and bursary status on a daily basis. One of the gentlemen I may be going to Japan with has already recieved a $5,500 scholarship, and I have still recieved a big fat zero. I think I applied to more than he did. The problem is that there is a scholarship left that I may have had a shot at, which is given to people who exhibit interest in Asian Studies, but I am competing with the exchange students going to China for that one. And they definitly have higher marks than me. This is all 2E03's fault. It's a full year course so my 85% in it didn't appear on my transcript. Which means instead of having a grade point average of 9.5, I had 7.5 during the scholarship selection period. So the only chance I still have is if I am the only one who qualifies. I am still hoping to get bursaries due to my poorness. My Japan savings have leveled out at $2400 so far. There is no doubt that I will get a full-time job this summer, which will net $5,500 if I start work in May *fingers crossed*. That plus OSAP should comepletly cover my trip next year. I am also going to try to pick up extra shifts and maybe get a weekend job. I have no qualms abut working my ass off. It's schoolwork I hate the most. Stupid 2E03.

Exams start tomorrow for me. I have one at 7pm which I am feeling really confident about. Althought I had some difficulties with semantics during the year, all the info is really starting to sink in. I am definitely going to be able to keep my mark near 80%. I did the math, and I figure I have at least 80% in 4/5 of my classes. If I do well on the exams, I should get some more bursuries and a few scholarships next year.

The gang and I went to our pre-departure orientation on Tuesday. It turned out to be a big waste of time for anyone with half a brain and at least a smattering of common sense. They told us all the things that can go wrong and what to avoid, like hookers and violence. Aside from the copious amounts of free food and drink, it was not worth the class I missed. Everyone going to Japan sat with us, including Jon and Yu who are destined for Osaka University. I am really lucky, since everyone going to Seinan Gakuin is not nearly as stupid or annoying as the other potential exchangees that were there. Everyone and their brother apparently want to exchange to France.

Speaking of France, I have decided to take a French class at Mohawk this summer. From my understandings, there are a lot of French students exchanging to Seinan, so it wil be a good advantage to brush up on my French. I have wanted to start practicing again anyway, and this way, I will be in good shape to practice with the French kids once I get to Japan. Aaron was telling me about his upcoming exchange to Quebec this summer and I would really like to do something similar, but I need to raise money for Japan instead. I have momentarilr given up on Mandarin until exams are over. I figure I can really get into it 4th year, while I'm wasting away in linguistics class.

Thanks for reading, now turn off your computer and get a hobby. nerd

Everybody has probably already seen this pic, but I don't care. It is my favourite picture from my trip to Japan. Leave a comment on your opinion of it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, you're a language nerd too I guess. Mandarin is really fun, so I suggest you take it as soon as possible.
I hope you get the scholarships. I wish you luck and will pray for you everynight right before I go to bed and mom brings me warm milk and tucks me in. My prayers for a pony can wait I guess.

But yeah, I'm really jealous of you! Make sure you write in this blog a lot more when you arrive.

11:47 p.m.  
Blogger Gorrozolla said...

I plan on it. None of this "I'm Meaghan and I'm too busy and carefree to tell Marc what's going down on my blog" crap.

10:23 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So i got an email from the exchange office today confirming what Calen was saying about Jasso, i'm afraid its bad news for all of us.
---"Hi Joel,

I have received notification from Seinan Gakuin to inform that Canadian student are not eligible for the JASSO scholarship this academic session but would be considered the following year."---

Luckily we should still be getting 1k from mcmaster just for being exchange undergrads! i'm gratefull for anything!

4:27 a.m.  
Blogger Gorrozolla said...

Yeah, that 1k is almost 10k...... OH WAIT NO IT'S NOT!!!!

7:26 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad luck on that, mate. Well, if you're going to be on the bloody western half of the country, at least it will give me an excuse to come down to see the area.

8:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home