Monday, November 24, 2008

You know, driving slower IS an option

Well, we had some snow. And since Japan refuses to use either road salt or sand, the few inches of snow has been driven and re frozen into a solid sheet of black ice. If you`re lucky, some of the ice is still white and you can see it, but I walked about 100 feet to the post office and the entire stretch of road was solid black ice. Within 2 minutes, I saw 3 different cars completely lock up their tires as they approached the corner they wanted. You see, here in Japan defensive driving is a thing of the past. Yes folks, that`s right. Japan has long been using a far more sophisticated form of driving. Robots? Nano-technology? Both are good guesses but you are WAY off. No. Japan uses the far more advanced technique of driving on a wish and a prayer. Its WAY better. You can drive like you would under the best of road conditions but in far worse and dangerous ones and your wishes and prayers will keep you safe.
This may seem like a story but all my observations have led me to believe that Japanese people drive as though they think they won`t lose control. Everyone just zips around like normal and then slides out of control when they need to stop. Does this affect them? Nope. They just spin the tires away from their stop and speed away.
I wasn`t worried about my driving, since I understand the concept of slowing down and being careful when conditions are like this, but now I suddenly have to deal with a city of 25,000 who have no single driving care in the world. Pray for me Canada.... pray

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris WJ Charlton said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

11:23 a.m.  
Blogger Furious said...

As will you be in mine.

By the way, I've had the same experience with asthma. Actually, just on the verge of going to the hospital right now.

8:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home