Sunday, November 23, 2008

He`s a phoney

So I had an interesting time trying to get a new phone the other day. Before we get to that tale, allow me to fill in some back-story.


I came to Japan carrying an old Softbank model which I had bought when I did my exchange program. It wasn`t the coolest phone out there, but it worked and it was cheap to reactivate. Sadly, after about a month the screen started to die. It wouldnt turn on all the way and there were black and grey lines of dead pixels all the was across the face. Shortly following this, the camera and other such functions stopped working. More recently, the screen took to completely dying after about 10 seconds of use and when it would come back on the contents of the screen would be completely mirrored and unreadable. I don`t actually know how such changes occured, but I assumed the worst and called an exorcist. Even that guy said there was nothing I could do. I made the choice to just suck it up and get a new phone. I am making a lot of extra cash on the exchange rates when I transfer money home so I figured no biggie......

I went to the phone company softbank and explained my situation and they showed me a price list. Bottom line was $600 with the nicer models topping out just around $1200. After I collected my jaw from the floor I went next door to the AU shoppe. Different company and a COMPLETLY different price list. Now, don`t get me wrong. I knew a new phone was going to cost me and also knew that it would be a few hundred dollars. I had no idea that Softbank had the ability to bring back technology from the 29th century and create cellphones with it. So unless their cellphones allowed me to leave the confines of my medical bay while maintaining myability to interact with non-holographic objects there was no way I was going down that road.

AU was full of wonderful phones though. I ended up paying about $100 for a new phone and the monthly fee is less than it was with the last company. Long story short. Don`t trust a company who puts Hillary Duff on their posters. I should have known from the start.
My new phone. The white one BTW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home