Thursday, September 07, 2006

Current Events: Karaoke, I-house, Izakaya

Ok, I have decided to skip all the little stuff and focus on what's happening recently.
My room in I-house is pretty nice, but when I arrived there were some problems. First, the airconditioner decided to start poring condensed water onto my desk and computer, but that was fixed withing 15 minutes of me reporting it. Next, my bathroom and sink were a little scummy, but I cleaned the hell out of them and how they look nice. My room is looking really bare, but its filling up slowly. It really sucked at first because we didnt have internet for a whole week. Luckily, the other Marc is a nice guy and he liet us use his whenever.

I went to my first ramen shop and aside from the smell(which is like dying sour ass) it was really cheap and delicious. There was one ramen with kanji we couldnt read and after about 15 minutes of searching the kanji ended up meaning "large portion". We felt pretty dumb.

I found my bike, but apparently whoever was riding it during the summer, had not done anything about a flat tire in the back. It ended up costing me $19 to get it fixed, but now I have a bike. Now I just need to pay $20 for a helmet!

I ended up grocery shopping and it turns out that I can buy a weeks worth of food for under $50. I ascutally only spend $32 but that was because there was a big sale and stuff was only $1. This means that I will be under budget on groceries by about $100 each month, YAY.

We went to Karaoke and it was a lot of fun. There were only a few people singing though but it was still the best time ever. I sang a lot of songs, and I think I have gotten better at singing over the last year. I even got an offer to join the choir, but they practice during my classes so I can't go :( During the hot weather, we went and played some whiffle bal, but the teams were really uneven, so it ended up that my team had like 15 runs before the other team even scored. It was Marc(plays baseball), Peter( who plays sports), and me, so we kept getting 3 runs at a time. I guess the balls werent whiffley enough. It was good and I got a little sunburned which turned into a nice tan the next day.

Since Monday, we have been attending orientation which is pretty much just them telling us not to stay in our rooms and make our culture shock worse. Yesterday was fun since it was the reception. There were some boring speeches and then we had to introduce ourselves to a whole room of people. I was nervous, but everyone like my intro. Then we got to mingle for about an hour and a half and eat tons of food. I met a lot of students and had tons of fun talking to everyone. At the end we even got to take home all the left over food!!!

Last night was our best night yet. Everyone went to Canal City, but a few of us stayed in and had some food. Then at around 10pm, we went for a walk to Nishijin, which is just up the road. We were going to find a bar, but I spyed some International Office employees. It was Kojima who is head of the Int. Division, one of the receptionists Masako, and one of the guys who takes us on trips, Onogi I think. They were unwinding after just getting off of work. I didnt want to go in, but Julian and Peter did, so we decided to stay there. We went in and everyone was so suprised. The best part was, they bought us our first round of beers. I drank mine out of respect, and it was very... beery. I downed it fast so I didnt taste it much. A little later, we bought them a round, and then Onogi went out for some reason. He returned with a piece of Birthday cake, since it was Peter's birthday. We all sang happy birthday and then took a group photo, which I will post after. It was the most fun I have ever had in a bar. Then after everone had finished, Kojima told us that he was paying for our bill. I couldn't believe it!!! Then the Taisho(bar owner/server) came out and gave us all little magnets from one of the festivals in August.

Basically, Peter and Julian talked to the two guys all night and me and Siggi talked to Masako all night. We went back to I-house after curfew, but the guy who doesnt talk to anyone was on duty, so it was ok. We get away with a lot when he is there. Last week we had a water gun fight inside the i-house.

This morning I had Japanese class, and Japanese psychology, which was boring. Japanese class was hard, since the teacher only spoke Japanese and we have to make a 3 minute speech by tomorrow and memorize it.


After class, Calen and I went to eat at the really cheap cafeteria near i-house and them went to HardOff with John. HardOff is a store where you can get housewear and secondhand/new electronics and instruments. I bought a Squire amp and Squire guitar, with a stand and patch cable for under $130 dollars!!!!! Both are Fender products and pretty damn good considering the same equipment in Canada would have cost me....
Guitar:$165 = tax/shipping
Amp: $150
Anyway, thats all for now. I will try to get some disaster prevention pics up soon!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, did you get the stuff from the 4th floor storage that i saved for you yet? Sorry about the bike, that was Zach that did that.... he was a twit.

10:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home